Monday, July 27, 2009

Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens

Yes, I am on a Dickens' roll!

This book has been amazing! Reading it has been one of the best things I've ever done, even though 916 pages is a significant literary investment. It is the very best of everything Dickens--love, adventure, creepy characters, and the most amazing and intense plot I've ever read. The surprise ending totally got me, and I couldn't believe that the whole story was about a different character than the one I originally picked as the main character. I want to read it over again so I can recognize Dickens' absolute mastery in plot, deception, perspective, and story.

One thing I can't stop thinking about is how grateful I am that I wasn't alive when Dickens was writing this book. Waiting for the next serial would have killed me in so many places in this book. I would have been camping out at the dock waiting for the next installment for weeks.

I'm going to be raving about this book forever!

3 comments:

Kaity said...

oh and i like you.

Becky said...

Love the recommendation. I know I was never the same after David Copperfield. I need something right now...perhaps this is just the ticket.

Jennifer Ricks said...

It's different than David Copperfield (it doesn't have the autobiographical feel), but still amazing!