Friday, February 4, 2011

Recent Read: Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

One of my friends recommended this to me as her favorite Gaskell book. It felt a lot like Cranford but with more of a streamlined plot. Even the Miss Brownings in Wives and Daughters are pretty much the same characters as the Miss Jenkyns in Cranford. Wives and Daughters also felt a lot like Pride and Prejudice, if the latter were about Jane instead of Lizzy. Molly is a sweet character and has moments of fire-ups, which gives me hope for her. Gaskell is pretty predictable in this book, but it was a pleasant read. Most of all, I really enjoyed imagining Colin Firth as Mr. Gibson, Molly's father. I think the scene when Rodger leaves for Africa for the second time is going to be one of my favorite scenes in all literature.

No comments: