Saturday, March 26, 2011

Recent Read: "The Elusive Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy

Yes, I'm a little obsessed. But I was happy to find that this is a full novel instead of a collection of stories. I really like being in Marguerite's perspective more, unlike the beginning of El Dorado
 
Come to find out, I should have read this and a couple of other of the books before El Dorado, which makes everything make a lot more sense, especially the title of El Dorado. It's all coming together better now, and I recommend reading them in the right order! 

One thing that was really cool in The Elusive Pimpernel is how Orczy grapples with the question of where God is during all these atrocities by making the priest Marguerite's close friend. Marguerite and Percy both speak of God reverently and faithfully, but the priest's faith is too naive. You feel that God expects good people do to good things even during troubled times in addition to praying. I like how Orczy touches on this without preaching or making it a main point.

I really liked this book a lot. It hits the "to read aloud with my husband" list, which is pretty good. It's too bad that the movie ruined El Dorado for me, so I liked how this book still had surprises.

The last thing I have to say is that Marguerite and Percy's relationship is one of the most beautiful in all literature. Here's just one quote "agony of joy." It thrills me! I am just crazy about their deep, passionate romance as husband and wife. It is beautiful!

No comments: